Monday, January 10, 2011

Simplification

I have tried to make this a simple, straightforward game which still gives a bit of historical flavor, but I may have included too much detail.

I like the idea of an "elite" rule, and I think that my "disciplined" rule is too complicated.

What I really want to do is somehow give a benefit to well-drilled troops. Perhaps I'll have a "drilled" rule which allows a bonus in combat and maybe gaurantees a minimum movement as long as the troops are in formation.

Formation ideas:

Line of Battle
Column
Block (pike blocks, Romans)

When in block formation, drilled troops may only be attacked 1-1.

When in Column, infantry move 1 1/2 inches for every normal inch of movement.
When in line of battle, drilled shooters may re-roll any single result of "1" as long as the target was to the shooter's front. When in line of battle shooters in the rear rank may shoot through shooters in the front rank.

Also, I'm thinking of dropping the requirement to shoot at the closest enemy as long as no enemy is closer than 6 inches. Otherwise you must shoot at the closest enemy.

For morale, how about an actual retreat with the possibility of a rally?

I'm going to expand command distance to 12 inches.

Also, if there are shooters in the same company as fighters, shooters must shoot before any fighter moves into hand-to-hand combat. No shooting after hand-to-hand begins.

No comments:

Post a Comment